December 16, 2011

A Prayer of Faith in Times of Distress

I use YouVersion for managing my daily Bible Study and Reading.  I just started the Life Application Study Bible ® Devotion  reading plan and thought the first reading would be helpful for others.  As I go through my reading plans (I have more than one going at a time) I will post here those that I feel have some meaning or that may be helpful to various things survivors of domestic violence may be experiencing.

Psalm 6:6 - I am worn out from sobbing.
All night I flood my bed with weeping,
drenching it with my tears.

Pouring out his heart with tears, David was completely honest with God. We can be honest with God even when we are filled with anger or despair because God knows us thoroughly and wants the very best for us. Anger may result in rash outward acts or turning inward toward depression. But because we trust in our all-powerful God, we don't have to be victims of circumstance or be weighted down by the guilt of sin. Be honest with God, and he will help you turn your attention from yourself to him and his mercy.

The above verse and additional notes from YouVersion tells us two main things; be honest with God and do not hold onto to our anger.  Turn our anger over to God.  Regardless of whether we are angry with ourselves or with others, turn it over to God, trust Him to help you deal with it.  After reading this I decided to go look further... what does the rest of this particular Psalm say? 

After reading all of Psalm 6 I thought it may make a good prayer in its entirety.  I’ve copied it below for quick reference when you may be feeling overwhelmed, angry beyond reason, depressed or distressed either physically, mentally (emotionally) or spiritually.

This prayer of faith to use in times of distress says several things to us.  It tells us to trust in God and be honest with Him about what our troubles are.  It tells us to turn our distresses over to Him and know that He will handle them.  It also gives us hope to go on, knowing that God has heard our plea and prayer and will help us in His loving way.

Psalm 6 - 1 O LORD, don’t rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your rage.2 Have compassion on me, LORD, for I am weak.  Heal me, LORD, for my bones are in agony.3 I am sick at heart.  How long, O LORD, until you restore me?4 Return, O LORD, and rescue me.  Save me because of your unfailing love.5 For the dead do not remember you.  Who can praise you from the grave?t6 I am worn out from sobbing.  All night I flood my bed with weeping, drenching it with my tears.7 My vision is blurred by grief; my eyes are worn out because of all my enemies.8 Go away, all you who do evil, for the LORD has heard my weeping.9 The LORD has heard my plea; the LORD will answer my prayer.10 May all my enemies be disgraced and terrified.  May they suddenly turn back in shame.

There are basically four things that David is saying in Psalm 6.  First he makes a petition for God’s mercy in time of distress, then he immediately praises God and states that praise comes from the living.  Then David describes his suffering and knowing that God has heard him he reprimands his enemies.

I welcome your comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment